Colonoscopy Singapore3 Minutes Read
What is a Colonoscopy?
Colonoscopy is a procedure where a doctor looks at the inside of the colon
and rectum with a colonoscope. The colonoscope is inserted through the anus
and into the rectum and colon.
Special instruments can be passed through the colonoscope to biopsy or remove any suspicious-looking areas such as polyps where necessary.
A colonoscopy can be performed as regular colorectal cancer screening, depending on your risk factor. It may also be recommended by your doctor to investigate certain signs and symptoms.
Why screen for colon cancer?
Screening for colorectal cancer helps to:
- Prevent cancer cancer by removing polyps during a colonoscopy and
- Aid with earlier detection of cancer and provide a better outcome.
From 2015 to 2019, colorectal cancer is the most common male cancer and the second most common female cancer in Singapore:
When should I screen for colon cancer?
- If you do not display any symptoms and are not considered to be at high risk, colorectal cancer screening should be done from the age of 50.
- If you are at high risk, going for screening at a younger age and at more frequent intervals is recommended. Consult your doctor for advice.
- You are considered to be at high risk if one or more of your close relatives have colorectal cancer or an abnormal growth (colorectal polyps) in their large intestine.
- Females who have had cancer of the womb, ovaries or breast may have a slightly higher risk of colorectal cancer.
Is a Colonoscopy painful?
A colonoscopy usually is performed with the patient under sedation. This means you are sleepy or don’t remember anything of the procedure.
What is the cost of Colonoscopy in Singapore?
The price varies depending on the hospital and specific procedure done. You may visit the Ministry of Health (MOH)’s historical transacted bill sizes for an estimate.
Can I use my MediSave for Colonoscopy in Singapore?
MediSave can be used for a colonoscopy, provided you are:
- Aged 50 years old and above and,
- It is a day surgery procedure.
I have private health insurance. Can I pay for my Colonoscopy without cash?
Your insurance plan may come along with a rider which may allow you to undergo a
colonoscopy without having to pay cash. If you are unsure, please contact us or
speak to your insurer to find out more.
We are able to arrange for a colonoscopy as a cashless procedure so you may undergo your procedure seamlessly. Talk to us today.